Tuesday 18 October 2011

My top five... TV reality shows

My top five.... reality TV shows

It’s hard to say whether these TV shows are reality, scripted reality, drama - the list goes on. From the early days of MTV’s The Real World to recent show The Only Way is Essex, what is about watching people’s lives play out that enthrals us?

Reality TV - Graffiti

Thanks to http://www.flickr.com/photos/leunix/ for the Flickr Image.

The Guardian website features a great debate about how these shows could be encouraging regional stereotyping.

Julia Raeside argues: “Based on this new method of storytelling, Geordies are sexually incontinent, Essex girls are thick and west Londoners are shallower than a crepe pan. It's reductive and damaging.”

In defence of scripted reality TV, Paul Flynn comments (in relation to Big Brother and how things have progressed): “The second wave of reality TV – constructed, scripted or bespoke – concentrated on these basic human mechanisms to propel quick turnaround stories. It's just another way of telling stories. I can't believe I'm still having this argument in 2011.”

I’m in the Flynn camp. It’s entertainment, it’s fun and the viewing figures show how popular these type of shows are.

This makes me think back to my music degree and reading philosopher Adorno’s work on popular culture. He argued that capitalism fed people with the products of a 'culture industry' - the opposite of 'true' art - to keep them passively satisfied and politically apathetic.

Maybe TOWIE is keeping us ‘passively satisfied’ and ‘politically apathetic’ but in all honesty, sometimes you need an hour of a show to get lost in.

And here are mine.....


(All show real people but some of the scenes may have been set up purely for your entertainment! – as the saying goes)

1) TOWIE (The Only Way is Essex) is a semi reality show based in Essex. It follows the lives of several young people (I’ll just add in that they are glamorous and gobby), their family and friends.
Story lines have included Lauren and Mark’s on/off relationship, Joey Essex being ‘reem’ and Gemma’s adoration of Sugarhut night club owner Mick. If that made no sense - watch it!



When you can watch: Wednesday and Sunday on ITV 2

Check out some Vajazling...



2) Don’t Tell the Bride is a reality show on BBC3 which gives the groom £12,000 and three weeks to plan a wedding for his bride. I have seen a magical wedding in a fairytale castle, a reggae/Irish theme and I have even seen the bride skydive to her venue. In the last episode the groom spent nearly all the budget on flights to Ibiza, only to realise he couldn’t legally marry there.



When you can watch: Tuesday 9pm on BBC3

She was not impressed...



3) Made in Chelsea is a new viewing for me but I think it deserves a top five rating. It follows the champagne fuelled lives of a group of South West London guys and gals. The ‘dahlings’ drive fancy cars, live in fancy houses and have names such as ‘Binky’ and ‘Ollie’. I shall say no more...



When you can watch: Monday 10pm E4

Sorry about the ad and watch out for the strong language..



4) Come Dine With Me I suppose isn’t scripted drama but it is a reality show following people and filmed in their homes. There are usually four/five people who each take a night to entertain and cook for their guests in different areas of the country. They then each score the host at the end of the night, leading to the highest scorer winning themselves £1000. Fancy that. I used to enjoy the voice over guy but not so much anymore, let me know what you think.



When can you watch: Most weekday nights at 5.30pm on Channel 4

No embed but here is a link to a clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rocxZrz39LA

5) Here is the curve ball - I could have gone for the Hills, House wives of New Jersey, Coach Trip, Eddie Stobart and even my guilty pleasures of real life police shows. No, I chose The Man Who Moves Buildings.

One Sunday before I went to work I got hooked watching this American reality show about just that – a man who moves buildings. It is fascinating. The Pattersons’ family firm take on really complex projects moving buildings in the USA.


When you can watch: It was on Channel 5 but I can’t see a recent series to inform you about. As soon as I see it back on the screens I will tweet but for now you can get more information on it here

Let me know your thoughts on reality TV, do you have a favourite show or do you despise it?

No comments:

Post a Comment